2021 - PERLab Design Lab TechnicianFull-timeAmericasChicago
PERLab is a design lab where innovation is fueled by design principles and augmented by deep operational and rapid procurement expertise. We help companies take a holistic approach to product portfolio management with a focus on cost reduction and revenue improvements, creating a long-term competitive advantage through the life cycle of its products. Our clients are Fortune 500 companies, where we work cross-functionally with engineers, marketers, R&D, and supply chain leadership to help executives make better decisions about their products. Our clients are improving EBIT by as much as 50 percent by taking a more strategic focus on design.
Working for PERLab gives you a chance to be a part of the fast-paced and constantly evolving industry of design analytics in a hands-on environment. We are looking for someone who is intellectually curious, entrepreneurial, well organized, technically oriented, and willing to get their hands dirty. In this position, you will work closely with our consultant teams in a highly collaborative environment so written and oral communication skills are vital.
As a lab tech, you will get the opportunity to interact with products from some of the world’s coolest companies at our Chicago Design Studio. You will be responsible for activities around project execution, capability development, and studio management. Not to mention, you get to work with a diverse group of product and design experts that are passionate about what they do.
- Support project execution and business development
- Assist in product teardowns, competitive benchmarking, and ideation
- Work closely with project teams to order products, prepare studio to host the project, support teardowns, capture and document data from teardowns as needed
- Coordinate with strategic partners, such as TEAMS Design
- Build capability to recommend and execute external lab testing Eg: guide teams on relevant product testing and coordinate with lab to execute it)
- Setup and support in-person and remote workshops with clients, including lab space setup, coordinate workshop materials with TEAMS designers, setup and manage AV tech
- Set-up and operate lab technology such as material sensors, 3D scanners, etc. (previous experience not required)
- Lead internal capability improvement projects
- Stay current and help select and implement modern technologies
- Share knowledge, champion best practices, and curate knowledge assets
- Build benchmarking databases that capture learnings from projects
- Manage day to day operations of the studio
- Track which project are in the lab and assign work zones
- Manage product inventory – work with project teams to understand what needs to be kept out in the main studio area, what can be filed away, clinically pack up projects that are ready to be stored, create tracking information, and store them methodically in the storage area, retrieve projects from storage as needed
- Manage studio calendar – timeline of ongoing projects, planned workshops, upcoming projects, etc.
- Coordinate with lab admin / manager to prepare for events at the studio
- Ability to structure and execute work independently with minimal guidance
- Some college preferred, but open to high school graduate / GED, community college, trade school with relevant experience
- Background in engineering and/or material science and/or manufacturing and/or job-shop
- An ideal candidate having previous experience in a job shop / makerspace / university laboratory / small manufacturer (on the job experience outweighs the educational background)
- Familiarity with using computers including Excel and email is required
- Willing to learn / comfortable capturing high-quality photos (no formal training or experience necessary)
- Existing knowledge of other technologies such as Computer Automated Design, 3D scanners, and 3D printers would be a bonus. Must be willing to learn to effectively use such tools.
- Familiarity operating tools (including powered tools like drills, saws, etc.) and willingness to learn how to use tech equipment like material guns, 3D scanners, etc.
- Proficient written and verbal communication
- Demonstrated ability to effectively share technical information
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- This position involves regular walking, standing, sitting for extended periods of time, hearing, and talking
- May involve close vision, color vision, depth perception, focus adjustment, and viewing computer monitor for extended periods of time
- Involves manual dexterity for using workshop tools including screwdrivers and measurement devices and well as general office equipment
- Involves moving / maneuvering and lifting heavy items
- 8 hours per day expected with specific scheduling flexible per individual needs and preferences
- Regular, dependable attendance and punctuality
Additional Job Details
- Location: West Loop
- Pay: $30- $45/hr (based on experience) + benefits
- Hours per Week: FTE
- Starting Date: As soon as possible
PERLab is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.